Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Sewing Spree

Spring is coming soon (you know, whenever Colorado decides it will) which means sundresses, cute skirts, and the perfect excuse to break out the sewing machine from it's hibernation in the corner of my desk. I'm still pretty new to sewing, but there is something so gratifying about being able to whip out several skirts in an afternoon while ignoring the knitting project that is determined to go on forever! Luckily for us in Colorado we have a few great fabric shops around, my favorite being Fancy Tiger Crafts up in Denver. It takes serious self control to walk in there and not buy.all.the.things! Between fabric and yarn it's a pretty wonderous place with some of the most unique kid's fabrics that I've seen around.

Fortunately I ran across a great novice sewer friendly toddler skirt tutorial that uses fat quarters so instead of staring guilt ridden at my credit card bill over-run with attempts to pretty much just buy out the store I could just load up on fat quarters and get a little taste of everything! I based Littlest Owl's skirts on this tutorial from Sewing in No Man's Land with some adjustments, like re-purposing some old t-shirt material for the waist bands instead of the elastic in the tutorial. There was a little bit of trial and error in these, so some came out better than others, but over all I'm rather pleased with the results!

Littlest Owl is currently running around in one of the new skirts singing "Let it go" at the top of her lungs with a scarf on her head (to be a princess, duhhhh mom!!!), so I'm going to just go ahead and say they were a hit!



Any other knitters out there cheat on their needles occasionally with their sewing machine?



No comments:

Post a Comment