Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Dreaming of Spring

There's a saying going around the interwebs via memes and such "It's winter when Colorado says it's winter!" and nothing else quite the crazy weather we have out here quite like that! Yesterday we were running around Rocky Mountain National Park where I had full intentions of knitting, but as it turned out even the picnic tables were covered with two feet of snow. Today, I sat outside on what seems to be a delightful spring day to watch Littlest Owl (in perhaps the most spring inspired outfit ever) run circles around the dog while I finally got that knitting done.

While I love winter out here, when the mountains are dressed in their finest, there is always something about that feel of spring, especially where it is so fleeting. It was perfect for my current project on the needles, that like spring, is all about hope and promise. I have a friend who is facing some serious health struggles and has a few important events coming up, so instead of casting on the "typical" prayer shawl that is snuggly and cozy I have Monsoon Shawl from the latest Interweave Knits started with the hope that it will be of use to her for those special events.


I've knitted a lot of gifts over the years and this is one of my favorite things about crafting- I could go to the store and just buy a gift, but it wouldn't have the same heart and soul in it. It is the great power of knitting, that every piece has this story to it and a piece of the maker's heart woven into those endless rows.

When I was pregnant with Littlest Owl I cherished those first few baby knits for her, even though it was well into summer, each piece was a small bit of spring and I hope that somehow she can feel the love for her that I and her other knitting relatives have when she wears one of the many hand knits we have made for her!  

What have been your most important projects you have worked on? What projects have you poured the most heart and soul into?


No comments:

Post a Comment