Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Tour around Little Knitty Bird

As we have another "It's winter when Colorado says it's winter" day it seems like a great time to take a peek at what we do over here at Little Knitty Bird!

I'm based out here in the Pike's Peak region of Colorado and have set up my office/studio in what used to be the formal dining room of our house because, really, who needs one of those when there is crafting to be done?!? My partners in crime and enablers/distractions of my work are my husband, Big Bird, our daughter, Littlest Owl who inspired the name of the shop after spending the first six months of her life primarily communicating via hooting, the brew dog Bernoulli, and the shop cat Zelda.


Zelda would like to welcome you to the studio, she's rather proud of herself for being allowed on the desk for once, usually she just takes up my chair. 

I started crafting as kid, starting with those Lisa Frank little kits and moving on from there. My first creations were covered in large doses of glitter puffy paint and were somewhat horrendous, but you have to start somewhere! Eventually I discovered beading and the jewelry making started off in earnest with requests coming from family and friends. 


Jewelry making was great and I even started selling some through an artist co-op in college, but eventually I had maxed out everyone I knew with gifts and I still had a big desire that ignoring some rather "interesting" attempts in grade school had not yet been realized- making full garments. My senior year I finally got started on knitting and in truth haven't looked back since as the collection of scarves, cowls, fingerless gloves, and snow sweaters has grown!


My love for knitting had only grown in the past few years where a hobby turned into two large baskets overflowing with a yarn stash and a needle collection that has outgrown the first needle holder I was given. There is just something so awesome about taking these two sticks and a ball of yarn and using them to make an infinite number of creations! So far my friends and relatives haven't been saturated with knitted gifts, it probably helps that it takes so much longer to make a cowl than to make a pair of earrings!

One day a member of my knitting group gave everyone some stitch markers she had made. It was the first time I'd had something nicer than the dinky little plastic rings that everyone starts with and in looking at them I realized that in stitch markers I had found the perfect marriage of my jewelry making past and my current fiber filled obsession. After wanting to start an Etsy shop for years I finally had a an idea that fit perfectly!


Thank you for coming on by to learn more about my shop and for being part of this awesome Etsy journey!





No comments:

Post a Comment