Tuesday, March 4, 2014

MBOY Gift Exchange

While I have been a regular member of my LYS knitting group for the past two years, it was in the past year that I ventured past those hallowed Ravelry halls and joined a Facebook knitting group some friends of mine were in and I'm so glad I did! It has been a great experience to have both my LYS ladies and the online yarn fiends, some local to me and others across the country, to connect and share with. Also, who else would get a laugh out of all the random knitting memes I find?!?!

One of the coolest things that this group does is the MBOY (mystery ball of yarn) gift exchange. Members of the group sign up and are randomly paired with someone else, much like a secret santa exchange. Then everyone gathers up a box full of yarny goodness to send to their MBOY partner. You don't know who your gifter is until you get that box and because the window for sending is relatively wide, even when the box arrives it's a wonderful surprise!

This particular go around the organizers decided to use the Elfster system to handle the pairings and information and the folks over there were so tickled by our group that they wrote an article about our exchange on their blog!

I didn't get a picture of my box before I sent it out since I didn't want to spoil the surprise, but I just got my partner's box in the mail yesterday and I can't wait to get to play with everything in it!


What cool things does your knitting group (online or local) do to help bring the group together and keep things fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment