Friday, April 3, 2015

LYS Tour: Nature's Yarns

Good Day Fiber People! In this month's edition of our LYS Tour we're featuring Nature's Yarns of Fairfax, VA.


I've actually been going to Nature's Yarns for several years now whenever we'd fly home to visit family so I'm excited to get the chance to stop by there more often and to include them in our tour! The shop is rather convenient to get to either coming off of 66 or Route 50, making it an ideal yarn crawl location. They are well stocked with a wide variety of yarns including a few skeins of Nerd Girl Yarns, which is the first time that I've seen it out in the wild! To say that it required a great deal of self restraint to walk out without an armload of beautiful fluff would be an understatement. There are both teaching spaces and gathering spaces along with a corner toy cubby that Littlest Owl quickly availed herself of. 

She built the world's most colorful Henge, I had to promise to photograph it. 


Now to help us learn more about Nature's Yarns we have our interview with owner Amy Schnetzler thanks to the help of the great CJ Bagaria!

1)       How did you get started?

A:  I felt there was a need for a yarn shop in Fairfax and wanted to help build a fiber community where people could come in to knit , crochet, or get help. (Of course, we offer more now – Tunisian crochet, bobbin lace, tatting, and spinning, to name a few.)


2)       Why specifically yarn and knitting for your business?

A:            I wanted to go in a different direction from dentistry, a field I was in for 20 years. 

Yarn Bar? Don't mind if I do!

3)       What's your favorite thing about owning a yarn shop?

A:            My favorite thing is getting to know the customers and making friends. Fiber people are friendly people!


4)       What surprised you?

A:            The year after I opened, the economy tanked, so it took longer to get established than I’d originally projected.


5)       Any advice for folks considering opening up a yarn shop of their own?

A:            Overestimate your startup costs!


6)       Random factoid about yourself! 

A:            The next thing I would love to learn is pottery. It’s not yarn-related, but I think it 
would be fun!


Perhaps yarn bowls for your customers?!?! Thank you Amy and the rest of your shop family for participating in our LYS Tour. Here are more views of the shop!

Is that a Stephen West Color Craving I see out in the wild?


Swift anyone?

Such a cute little fella!




No comments:

Post a Comment